Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels is available to people over the age of 60 and their spouses who cannot get out much due to illness or advanced age and who are not eating properly, regardless of their income. Each caller will be interviewed as soon as possible to determine eligibility and an appointment will be made for a home visit. Subsidized meals are available as funding permits.
Persons under age 60 are may be eligible under the following circumstances:
- Resident in a housing facility where a meal is served (Riverview Terrace in Cottage Grove, Cresview Villa in Creswell, Olive Plaza and Jacobs Lane in Eugene)
- Disabled dependent child living in a non-institutional household with a person over age 60
- Their Case Manager has authorized meals as part of their Medicaid in-home care service
- They are willing to pay the full cost of the meal ($8 each)
Meals are available to eligible people age 60 and older on a donation basis. There is no set charge for the meal; participants may make a donation for their meals according to their ability. The suggested donation is $3 per meal, but every eligible person is served regardless of the amount they give.
What is Meals on Wheels?
- Friendly volunteers deliver a nourishing, freshly prepared noontime meal. Meals are nutritionally balanced to provide 1/3 of the recommended nutrients.
- Volunteers have time for a brief chat and a safety check. Many who live alone, feel more secure knowing that someone is checking on them regularly.
- Frozen meals are available for days we do not deliver or if requested.
- If more help is needed, the Senior Connections Area Coordinator may be able to suggest some options at the time of the home visit.
Meals on Wheels is available in 8 Lane County communities and will be delivered by either Senior & Disabled Services or FOOD for Lane County, depending on where you live. FOOD for Lane County serves Eugene zip codes. S&DS serves Springfield, Cottage Grove, Creswell, Oakridge, Junction City, Veneta and Florence.
How can I get started?
To request Meals on Wheels Service call 541-682-3353, toll free 1-800-441-4038, or TTY 541-682-4567.
Your call will be answered by the Aging and Disability Resource Center whose staff may be able to provide additional service options to help meet your need.
How are Meals on Wheels funded?
Funds for S&DS Meals on Wheels in Springfield, Creswell, Cottage Grove, Florence, Junction City, Oakridge and Veneta
Are Contributed By:
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services –
- Older Americans Act
- Nutrition Services Incentive Program
Medicaid Reimbursements for Meals to Eligible Medicaid Recipients
Oregon Department of Human Services
- Oregon Project Independence Reimbursements for Meals to Eligible Recipients
Participant Donations for Their Meals
Human Services Commission
- City of Eugene, City of Springfield and Lane County
Charitable Gifts from Our Generous Neighbors